New Year, New Home 2022: 5 Resolutions for Your Home
It’s a new year, it’s 2022, and the buzz is all about new year, new me. Well, we don’t know about all that, but we do know new year is a great time to set some goals, get things in order, and time for a fresh start. New year resolutions are not just for you, they can be for your home as well. Your home should be your respite, your escape, retreat from the world. We’re here to help make your home fabulous one step at a time. Here’s our top 5 resolutions for your home.
- Declutter. Ugh, we all dread it – putting the holiday decorations away and getting our homes in order after a busy holiday season. Cold weather makes for a great time to cozy up in your home and start chipping away at the to do list. A great place to start is decluttering and getting rid of items you don’t need, don’t fit, you don’t use, or you never needed in the first place! Is it broken, worn out, useless, outgrown? Make 2 piles, one to give away or donate to a worthy organization or friend (i.e. maybe they have kids younger than yours that could use old clothes, or a pregnant friend who could use your maternity gear) and a pile to trash (i.e. think broken, worn items that are not useful to others.) Commit yourself to a set amount of time and reward yourself for completing this task! It’s tough work, but this is a great way to start setting the stage for your home to be fresh and clutter free this year.
Donating goods is a great way to declutter, and it feels good knowing you started off the year helping someone else.
- Deep Clean. Ok, so we got rid of the clutter, next step, get your cleaning on. We want to set you and your home up for greatness this year – now that we’ve gotten rid of all the extras, let’s vacuum, clean stains and blemishes, shake out the curtains, wipe down walls and windows, air out our spaces. Deep clean floors and bathrooms, high use areas and give them a little more love than you do the rest of the year. You’ll be glad you did when it’s done, we promise!
- Assess How You Are Using Your Spaces. Ok, so this sounds harder than it is. How do you actually use your home? For example, if your kitchen is the catch all for mail, homework, etc – are there ways you can add baskets or items to make this space more functional for how you use it? If you don’t use another part of your home, maybe you could repurpose it for the office/school work tasks and keep the kitchen just for family time and eating together. Do you have items that you don’t use or just aren’t in great condition? Make a list of items to purchase or replace to make your home more functional and inviting.
- Check Your Furniture. Now that we’ve cleaned, decluttered, and thought about how we use our home every day, now let’s check out how your furniture is holding up. Broken dresser, old kitchen table, awful sofa? Make a list of items that have just passed their time, and how you want your room to look and feel. At Urban Furniture Outlet, we have furniture that is stylish and affordable. We’re here to help you get items you need to get your home looking good and ready for you to enjoy.
- At the End of the Day. Your bedroom is where you start and end your day. Setting the stage for a great year, you want to assess your mattress, bedding, and sleep situation. Some of this is making sure you are getting to bed early enough to get your 7-8 hours of sleep, but also that you have a good pillow and mattress combination. It’s recommended you replace your mattress every 5-7 years, to get optimal support and comfort. Other tips – using a mattress protector that’s easy to remove/clean to keep allergens and dust out of your mattress, supportive pillow for your head and neck. At UFO, we’ve got great styles for all sleep styles at outlet prices.
That is our quick list, our top 5 resolutions for your home to get your new year started off right! Visit us in New Castle or Dover locations where our friendly sales associates are here to help you find what you need and make your home fabulous.
Wishing you and yours a healthy and happy new year.
~ Your Friends at UFO