Help Urban Furniture Outlet Promote FREE SUMMER MEALS for Kids!
Urban Furniture Outlet is a proud supporter of the Food Bank of Delaware. We have donation barrels available at both our Dover and New Castle, Delaware locations. We hope by offering convenient donation locations – we can help make it easier for folks to get their donations to the Food Bank of Delaware! This summer, we are promoting FREE MEAL PROGRAMS FOR KIDS supported by both the Food Bank of Delaware and your local school districts. Let’s help make sure NO CHILD IS HUNGRY this summer. Let’s spread the word on meal programs available, collect donations, and help end hunger in Delaware!
For children who rely on schools for their meals, summer is not a time of freedom and joy. It is a time of hunger. 6 out of 7 hungry kids don’t get the summer meals they need. Millions of kids rely on school for regular meals. But in the summer, those meals disappear. Currently, the national summer meals programs reach just 15 percent of the children who need help when school is out of session.
Delaware & Summer Hunger Facts
Food Bank of Delaware: Serves free meals to kids during the summer!
The Food Bank of Delaware runs a Grab and Go summer meal program to help bridge the nutrition gap during the summer months! Kids can grab a meal bag and take home for consumption!
To help bridge the nutrition gap during the summer months, the Food Bank provides nutritious meals for sites that feed hungry children.
Examples of sites:
- Faith-based organizations
- Apartment complexes
- And more!
During Summer 2018, the Food Bank delivered 59,758 grab and go meals to children. Meals included healthy, kid-friendly foods including cereal and milk, bagels, soy butter and jelly, turkey and cheese, yogurt, oranges, nectarines, celery sticks and more. To learn more, please contact Kim Dickerson at firstname.lastname@example.org.
How to Support & Promote the Summer Nutrition Program!
- Make donations to FBD and help support their efforts to keep children& families fed nutritious meals this summer. We have donation barrels for the Food Bank at both our New Castle and Dover stores! Here is a link to the Food Bank’s ‘Most Wanted Items List.’
- Educate others about hunger in the US and Delaware, and learn ways to support community efforts to feed the hungry.
- Volunteer to help prepare or serve meals, or assist at Food Bank locations.
- Can’t host a service site or volunteer to prepare meals? The Food Bank of Delaware is always in need of help promoting the program to eligible partners and parents who may not be aware of free meals!
- To find out where meals are served, please contact Delaware 2-1-1 by dialing
2-1-1. They can refer you to a neighboring meal site. Or text FOOD to 877-877!
FREE MEALS for Kids through LOCAL SCHOOLS
Your local school district also has Summer Meals for Kids & Teens available for during the summer months. To learn more, visit: https://www.fns.usda.gov/summerfoodrocks or call 1-866-3-HUNGRY for a location near you!